Last updated 21 July 2021
- Who We Are
- ATIV Services
- Who's Who
- Our Privacy Statement
ATIV Software supplies a meeting and event platform that simplifies complex events for attendees while providing a central hub for attendees to access services and information pertaining to a specific event. Through a comprehensive content management system (CMS), we ensure non-technical meeting organizers can create websites and mobile apps with the features and requirements the meeting organizer has determined necessary for their event. ATIV services are accessible (a) online through various ATIV properties, including without limitation ativsoftware.com, EventPilot meeting platform, and ScanHunt gamification; (b) through mobile applications, webpages, applications programming interfaces, and subdomains. (a) and (b) are collectively referred to as the “Platform” or our “Services.”
- Information We Collect and Receive
- Personal Data We Collect
- Information Collected from All Users
- Information You Provide to Us
- Information We Automatically Collect
When you use or interact with us through our Services, we may collect Personal Data. Sometimes this will be on our behalf, and other times this will be on behalf of an Organizer using our Services to run an event. This is an important distinction for purposes of certain data protection laws and is explained in more detail below.
For all Users, we collect Personal Data when you voluntarily provide such information to the Services, such as when you register for access to the Services, contact us with inquiries, respond to one of our surveys or browse or use certain parts of the Services. The Personal Data we may collect includes without limitation your name, address, email address, and any other information you choose to provide and/or enables Users to be personally identified.
To enable certain functionality and to improve your experience, we automatically collect information from Consumers when you are logged in to the Platform. This includes personal information and information about the services you use and how you use them.
- Usage Information: When you are logged in, we collect information about your interactions with the Platform, such as the features you use, search terms you enter, pages you visit, etc.
- In-App Content: To enable sync across devices, your in-app content, such as schedules, bookmarks, notes, etc., are collected.
- Location Information: To personalize your Platform experience and offer functionality such as indoor navigation, we provide location services. We may collect information about your location based on your mobile device’s GPS or Bluetooth Beacon proximity when the app runs in the foreground or background. You can control or disable the use of location services in the device’s settings menu as well as the app’s Settings menu. However, disabling location settings on your mobile device will limit your ability to use certain features of the Services.
- Beacons enable the native apps to determine your proximity to a set defined locator, if in use, for alerts, notifications, or navigation purposes using your device’s Bluetooth signal. Receiving Beacon transmission can be disabled by turning off your device’s Bluetooth. If indoor navigation functionality is available, you can control location tracking sharing in the user profile settings in the platform.
Logging out or deleting the Personal Data you have provided may affect your ability to use the Services and features provided. Deleting information may not result in the removal of such information from our Services. We also automatically collect specific technical data sent to us from the computer, mobile device, and/or browser through which you access the Services ("Automatic Data") regardless of your logged-in status. Automatic Data includes non-personal data such as:
- Logs: We automatically collect log data and device information for automated crash reporting, even if you are not logged in. That information includes, among other things: hardware and software information, device information, device event information, and crash data.
- Emails: Your contact information may have been provided by the Organizer or may be provided during login or registration. We may use customized links or similar technologies to determine whether the email has been opened and which links you click to help provide you more relevant information.
We may associate other Non-Personal Data (including Non-Personal Data we collect from third parties) with your Personal Data. At such an instance, we will treat any such combined data as your Personal Data until it can no longer be associated with you or used to identify you.
If you are an Organizer, we will collect additional Personal Data from you. In some cases, we may collect your credit card information (e.g., your credit card number and expiration date, billing address, etc.), some of which may constitute Personal Data, to secure certain payments. In addition, if you use our payment processing services, we will collect financial information from you (e.g., your bank account information or an address to send checks) as necessary to facilitate payments and information required for tax purposes (e.g., your taxpayer identification number).
If you are a Consumer, we may collect additional Personal Data from you, sometimes for our purposes and other times on behalf of an Organizer (see the section on the EU General Data Protection Regulation below for more information). We may also collect or receive Personal Data from third-party sources, such as Organizers, other Consumers, social media, or other third-party integrations.
Organizers or Third-Party Services that use our Platform may upload information that could contain personal information about you. ATIV does not control, supervise or respond to how Organizers and Third-Parties providing your information process your Personal Data. Any information request regarding disclosing your personal information to ATIV should be directed to such third parties.
- Organizers: We may receive information about you through data upload to the Platform by Organizers.
- Third-Party Data Services: Organizers may import information about you, including your affiliations and publications, your schedules, or CME/Credit information.
- Third-Party Login Services: If you link, connect, or log in with a third-party service (e.g., Member Login, Registration Company related logins such as badge ID and last name, Abstract Management Systems, Google, LinkedIn, etc.), the third-party service may send ATIV information such as your registration and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service. Please check your privacy settings with that service.
- Basic Account: Depending on the Organizer set up; you may be able to use the Platform without an account. Creating an account gives you access to additional features such as sync across devices. When you sign up for an account, we require basic information such as your first name, last name, email address, and password. You may choose to provide additional information as part of your profile (such as a photo).
- Public Share: You are responsible for any information you share publicly on the Platform via comments, photos, Q&A, presentations, etc. This includes any video or audio from video conferencing services that may be recorded and saved via the Service by the Organizer for the event in which you are participating. We do not and cannot control whether your use of the Service is being video recorded or audio recorded. If you do not want to be recorded during your use of the Services, you may inform the Organizer of that decision and/or decline to use the Services.
- Non-Public Share: To enable you to communicate with other Platform users by sending or receiving messages, the Platform will store and process your communications and information related to them.
- Contact Us & Feedback: Information you provide via support links and forms is used to respond directly to your questions or comments. ATIV may store comments to improve the Platform, website, products, process, and for review. Do not send any information, ideas, suggestions, proposals, or comments you consider confidential, or you want to be treated as confidential.
- Feature Use: You may otherwise choose to provide information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your profile, respond to surveys, post a comment, participate in gamification, or use other features of the Platform.
The Platform is intended for persons 18 years of age and older. In no event will ATIV knowingly collect, use, or disclose information for individuals under the age of 18.
- Specific Reason
- Access and Use
If you provide Personal Data for a particular purpose, we may use the Personal Data in connection with the purpose for which it was provided. For instance, if you contact us by email, we will use the Personal Data you provide to answer your question or resolve your problem and will respond to the email address from which the contact came.
If you provide Personal Data to obtain access to or use of the Services or any functionality thereof. In that case, we will use your Personal Data to provide you with access to or utilize the Services or functionality and analyze your use of such Services or functionality. For instance, if you are logged in to the Platform, we store and process information about you to provide Platform functionality. The data is used to:
- Enable you to access additional functionality of the Platform, including sync across devices, receive location-specific notifications and navigation, etc.
- Enable you to communicate with other Platform Consumers
- Send service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications (your contact information may have been provided by the Organizer or submitted by you during account creation).
- Enable Organizers to personalize and customize your experience (such as providing functionality specific to your registration information). See the section on How We Share and Transfer Your Personal Data for more detailed information.
We may review, scan, or analyze Consumer usage of the Platform to improve and/or optimize the Platform and experience. This may include capacity planning, anticipating, diagnosing, supporting, or resolving problems that might limit or disrupt the Platform. The data may also be used for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve the quality of the Service. We do not review, scan, or analyze your information to send third-party marketing messages to you. And we will not sell this information or analyses of your communications.
We sometimes make inferences about the type of sessions or event activities you may be interested in. We may use these inferences to help target advertising or customize recommendations to you, including on behalf of Organizers. We may do this on an aggregated or generalized basis.
We may aggregate data to help provide more useful information to Organizers. Aggregate data may be provided (but is not limited to):
- to understand which parts of our Platform are of most interest to Consumers. For example, General Platform usage information (session ratings, geo-location data, searches, general app usage, bookmarks, etc.).
- to determine peak occupancy to improve planning for Organizers.
- Organizer Access
- Third-Party Partner Integrations
- Shared Publicly
To enable our services for our Organizers, your data is shared with them. Organizers have access to your personalized schedules, attendance information, and certificate credit flags to process requests for continuing education credits. User profile information, including comments, discussion chats, and photos you shared publicly through the Platform, are also available to the Organizer. Video recordings rendered through the Platform are at the discretion of the Organizer. Presentation materials and any media items uploaded to the Platform are accessible by Organizers. Your personal notes and direct messages to other users are not shared with Organizers. We allow Organizers to use our Platform to contact Presenters and Consumers via email for their current events. You may receive emails from our system that originate with such Organizers and are sent on their behalf. You may provide your email to the Services for the purposes of a specific email (for example, to receive a download of your session notes). However, Organizers may also import the email addresses they have from external sources and send communications through the Services to those email addresses. We will deliver those communications to those email addresses on the Organizer's behalf. The Organizer, and not ATIV, is responsible for sending these emails.
The Platform may contain links or integrations to third-party websites or services, such as itinerary planners, content platforms (e.g., ePosters), survey services, video conferencing services, audience response systems, abstract management systems, accreditation sites, etc. Personal information is shared in order to enable the integrations and provide the Platform. ATIV does not own or control these third-party partners, and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to them. These partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. Please review the privacy policies of any other websites you visit.
As a meeting platform, there is functionality to share information publicly with other Consumers to foster networking, including but not limited to:
- Your profile information, such as your first name, last name, photo (if uploaded by the Organizer or by you), and any information uploaded by the Organizer may be visible to others. We do not control the practices of Organizers. Please review the Privacy Policies of related services.
- Comments, Q&A questions, photos, etc. added by the Consumer. Any information you have publicly shared via the Platform can be removed by deleting your shared content yourself through the Platform. This content can also be monitored and removed by an Organizer.
We may also share your information with a third party for the following purposes:
- To allow an acquisition, a merger, or a sale of all or a portion of our assets.
- To publish aggregate information about the use of the Platform.
- If required to do so in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on ATIV; (b) protect and defend the rights of ATIV (including enforcement of our agreements); or (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of ATIV employees, users of the ATIV sites, products or services, or members of the public.
Depending on your user type (Organizer vs Consumer), we provide you with various ways to access, download and request deletion of your Personal Data.
- Manage Account Information
- Opt-Out from Electronic Communications
- ATIV Marketing Communications
- Transactional or Responsive Communications
- Correct Inaccurate or Incomplete Information
- Consumer Data Corrections
- Organizer Data Corrections
- Data Retention and Erasure
- Consumer Personal Data Retention &Erasure
- Organizer Personal Data Retention & Erasure
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date. Consumers who have chosen to connect their Account to a third-party application, like Apple, Google, or LinkedIn, can change settings and remove permission for the app by changing their Account settings within the third-party application. Any information you have publicly shared via the Platform, you can remove yourself by deleting your shared content using the Platform.
ATIV may send electronic communications marketing or advertising the Services themselves. You can "opt-out" of receiving these electronic communications by clicking on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any such electronic communication.
Certain electronic communications from ATIV are responsive to your requests. For instance, if you are a Consumer, if you email our customer support department, we will return your email. For Organizers, you may receive email notifications of invoices or account status updates. Notwithstanding any unsubscribe election you have made, you will still receive these transactional or responsive emails. You can stop receiving these types of emails only by contacting us.
Any inaccurate data uploaded by the Organizer or imported through a third-party data source must be corrected at the source. The information displayed about you in the Service may have been derived from a third party. Please contact the organization that provided you with access to the Platform to request data access, data updates, or data deletion.
Unless otherwise provided for in our contract with the Organizer, the Consumer account access associated with an event is removed from our production environment once hosting has ended. All event data is removed from our backup media within 24 months after hosting has ended. ATIV processes Consumer Personal Data under the direction of the Organizer and has no direct control or ownership of the Personal Data we process. Any Consumer that seeks to access, correct, or delete data, should direct their query to the Organizer. If the Consumer requests ATIV to remove the Personal Data of a Consumer to comply with data protection regulations, ATIV will process this request within the required time under the applicable regulation or law. However, as long as the Consumer Personal Data exists within the Organizer databases, the Organizer may continue to upload it to the Platform. In addition (a) information you have shared with others (e.g., comments, photos, messages) may continue to be publicly visible on the Platform, even after your Account is erased, and (b) we may retain Personal Data for an additional period as is permitted or required under applicable laws. Even after we delete your Personal Data, it may persist on backup or archival media for an additional period of time for legal, tax, or regulatory reasons or for legitimate and lawful business purposes.
- Data Incident Notifications
In cases where ATIV is a data controller over data accessed in an unauthorized manner, we will notify the affected users directly. When we are solely a processor of data, we will notify the Organizers we determine to be most likely in contact with that individual around the time of a data incident involving the unauthorized access of that individual’s Personal Data.
- Personal Data Provided to Others
- Third-Party Links
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) applies in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, and the UK only. If you are attending or organizing an event in the EU, the GDPR requires ATIV and Organizers using the Service to provide Users with more information about the processing of their Personal Data, as explained below. If you do not agree to this policy, do not use the Platform.
- Legal Grounds for Processing your Personal Data
The GDPR requires us to tell you about the legal ground we're relying upon to process any Personal Data about you. The legal basis for us processing your Personal Data for the purposes set out in the Section above entitled How We Use Your Personal Data will typically be because:
- you provided your consent;
- it is necessary for our contractual relationship;
- the processing is necessary for us to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations; and/or
- the processing is in our legitimate interest as an event organizing and content providing platform (for example, to protect the security and integrity of our systems and to provide you with customer service, etc.).
EU data protection law makes a distinction between organizations that process Personal Data for their own purposes (known as “data controllers”) and organizations that process Personal Data on behalf of other organizations (known as “data processors”). If you have a question or complaint about how your Personal Data is handled, these should always be directed to the relevant data controller since they are the ones with primary responsibility for your Personal Data. Where ATIV processes attendees’ Personal Data on behalf of Organizer as part of the Services, ATIV is a Data Processor in performing such Processing and Organizer is the Data Controller. This includes circumstances where ATIV obtains Personal Data as a result of the provision of its core event management services (for example, where ATIV authenticates attendees’ identity based on the attendee list that Organizers uploaded to the Platform, facilitates the transmission of emails to participants at the request of Organizers, or provides event reports and tools to enable Organizers to gain insights into their attendees and the effectiveness of using the ATIV products). ATIV merely provides an event engagement and management “tool” for Organizers; ATIV does not decide what Personal Data to request on registration forms, nor is it responsible for the continued accuracy of any Personal Data provided. Any questions you may have relating to your Personal Data and your rights under data protection law should therefore be directed to the event organizers as the data controller, not to ATIV. We offer the ability for Organizers to email event participants directly through our platform. This functionality was built to send service-related emails specific to an Organizer event attended by the recipient of such email. If an Organizer wants to use this function, the Organizer needs to secure his/her own compliant opt-in consents to send such emails. ATIV does not manage the opt-in consent process for Organizers.
ATIV may act as a data controller concerning Personal Data, depending on the circumstances. For example, if you create an account with us to organize your events, ATIV will be a data controller for the Personal Data you provide as part of your account. We will also be a data controller of the Personal Data we may obtain through the use of the Platform or ATIV Services, which could relate to Organizers or Consumers. We use this to conduct research and analysis to help better understand and serve Users of the Services as well as to improve our platform and provide you with, for example, session recommendations (see Section entitled How We Use Your Personal Data).
Data protection law provides you with rights regarding Personal Data that we hold about you, including the right to request a copy of the Personal Data, request that we rectify, restrict or delete your Personal Data, and unsubscribe from marketing communications. There may be circumstances where we are not legally required to comply with your request because of the laws in your jurisdiction or because of exemptions provided for in data protection legislation. If you have a complaint about how we handle your Personal Data, please get in touch with us as outlined in the Contact Us section to explain. If you are not happy with how we have attempted to resolve your complaint, you may contact the relevant data protection authority.
- Consumer Personal Data Deletion
- Organizer Personal Data Deletion
ATIV processes Consumer Personal Data under the direction of the Organizer and has no direct control or ownership of the Personal Data we process. Organizers are responsible for complying with any regulations or laws requiring notice, disclosure, or obtaining consent prior to transferring the data to ATIV for processing purposes. Any Consumer that seeks to access, correct, or delete data, should direct their query to the Organizer. If the Consumer requests ATIV to remove the Personal Data of a Consumer to comply with data protection regulations, ATIV will process this request within the required time under the applicable regulation or law. However, as long as the Consumer Personal Data exists within the Organizer databases, the Organizer may continue to upload it to the Platform.
- General Inquiries
- Dispute Resolution
If you have a complaint about ATIV’s privacy practices, you should write to us at ATIV Software, Attn: Privacy Officer, 340 S Lemon Ave #4605, Walnut, CA 91789, USA, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will take reasonable steps to work with you to attempt to resolve your complaint. Residents of the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK who believe their information has not been processed in compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles and have already attempted to work with ATIV to address their concerns can also work with an alternative dispute resolver. Under EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield, JAMS (https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield), an alternative dispute resolution provider based in the United States, is the independent dispute resolution body designated to address complaints and provide appropriate recourse. This service is free of charge. Under certain circumstances, you may have the right to invoke binding arbitration, as described in the Annex I of the Privacy Shield: https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
If you are a California resident, we provide additional information about our information practices and you may have certain rights with respect to your information. For more information, please see the State-Specific Supplemental Privacy Notices here.